Monday, January 4, 2010

Boldly going where many readers have gone before!

So I've made my resolutions for this new year and one of them is to keep a book blog. I read so much and never keep track. My husband is irritated constantly by the amount of rambling I do about my most recent book conquests. And I am always looking to share my love for books with others. So what's a more convenient way to track, babble about, and share my book adventures, then a blog?

I ended 2009 by reading Graceling by Kristin Cashore, A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris, and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I'll just give a quick run down of my thoughts on them, sans book description, since these were last years reads.

Graceling was a good read. One of those books that gets better the longer you read. It's something I would suggest for the not-so-serious-reader and the reader who just can't get enough to read. While guys MIGHT dig it, I consider it to be more "chick-lit". It wouldn't have been nearly as appealing if not for the great little romance story woven in it. And speaking of the romance, what made it good was that was just a thread in a much fuller story. Unlike other YA books of the time, where it's all about the romance and the story itself doesn't start until half way through the book.

A Touch of Dead was a disappointing collections of short stories from the world of Sookie Stackhouse. Granted, Mrs. Harris does give a disclaimer that short stories are not her strong point. I read the whole book in a few hours, and while I enjoyed the time spent with the book, it was just a disappointment that it went by so quickly and didn't give me enough of all the things I've come to love about Sookie and her world. So unless you've read everything there is about Sookie and you need something to hold you over until the release of the next book in the series, then pass this one up.

Now The Graveyard Book was fabulous. It was everything I love about Gaiman's story telling. (Just a heads up. I love Neil Gaiman and think that everything he does is gold.) It was exciting, addicting, and the characters were likable. If you want something to read that isn't too long, is easy to get through, and is highly entertaining. Then get your hands on this one.

My first book for the year is The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. The first book in the huge Discworld series. I have the first several books and am hoping to read all 30some-odd books this year. I really enjoy Mr. Pratchett's writing and humor and am so far enjoying the book. I'm almost done, so the next post to this blog will be my summation and opinion of The Colour of Magic.

So to no one in particular (and probably, most likely, to no one at all) I hope you can find at least one good thing to read with me this year. Comment with your own opinions and suggest your own reads! Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you around!

No comments:

Post a Comment