Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

I finished Oryx and Crake a couple of days ago, but thanks to demanding kids and other hobbies, I was unable to post right away. As will be the case with just about every book I post about. Anyways, the book was great. Atwood knows how to weave a wonderful post-apocalyptic yarn that keeps you wanting to read. I was actually not ready for it to be over. Which left me feeling a slight disappointment. Which led me to wondering if I just wanted more or if the ending was less then desirable. Either way, I loved it.

Here's the basic rundown. The world as we know it is no more. The main character, Snowman(AKA Jimmy), is the last human being on earth. It's his tale of survival and his memories with Oryx(his love) and Crake (his best friend) that weave the story of how humanity came to it's ugly end. It's thought provoking, gripping, and slightly disturbing. Definitely not a light, breezy read. Definitely worth your time!

I'm still not done with The Doctrines of Grace book. That's one I'm pouring over slowly. The next fiction novel on my plate is The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment