Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Revelations by Melissa de la Cruz

This is the 3rd book in Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods series. I read the first 2 last year, but never read the 3rd or 4th because they've not been available at my library. But I went back a week ago and saw it there, so I decided to pick the series up again and try to finish it. The first 2 books were okay. They had potential, but Melissa de la Cruz is not a very good writer in my opinion. She had an idea that could have been good, but she went out far into left field with some cockamamie plot, her characters are flat, and her upper crust life in the New York/Hollywood scene has influenced her topically, which I just can't relate to and don't want to try to either. I try not to judge, but if her characters are this fickle and full of themselves, then I shudder to think of their creator. Not only do I dislike the characters and their lifestyles, I dislike the fallen angels/reincarnation story line. I can deal with some Godless literature, but something about this nonsense got under my skin. This 3rd book was a waste of my time. I am usually one to complete a series, even if I don't like it, but I have no desire to get the 4th one. I don't care what happens to the characters. I don't care what romances work out and who messes up their reincarnated vampire souls. I don't care who get the next modeling gig or who gets the next hot dress straight of the French catwalks. I just don't care.

But since I just handed you a hot steaming cup of my opinion, and that's not the only point of my blog, I guess I should summarize what this book was about. See, the stories been set up from the other books, so this might not make sense. But who cares, it sucked anyways. Schuyler(pronounced Skylar... stupid spelling, right!) Van Alan is an "outcast" weirdo socialite who is also a half vampire, half human, and even a little bit angelic outcast. (Her mom is Gabrielle, the arch-angel... yeah I know. And her dad is a, say it ain't so, dead human guy!) Her mom's in a coma in some upper crust NYC hospital because she was dumb and boffed a human guy, getting pregnant and breaking her silly reincarnated, angelic, vampiric, predetermined bond to the other arch-angel Micheal. Yeah, I know. Well the evil that has been about for all of eternity, the Silver Bloods, aka Lucifer and the angels who didn't want to try to gain back God's favor (I know, more and more blasphemous. Sheesh.) are going around trying to suck the life outta the Blue Bloods. You know, the "good" fallen angel/vampires who think they can gain back God's favor by being shallow socialites who take on human familiars (aka blood whores) for snacking on and doing other things with, and most of the time w/out their knowledge. Good way to get on God's good side, eh? Oh and don't forget the whole boffing each other thing too. And in this book, the battle between the Blues and Silvers comes to a boiling, shiny, fashionable, traveling to exotic locations, head. Which leads to secrets revealed, people dying, and a really weird make-out scene between the 2 shiniest, richest, characters; who also happen to be brother and sister in this life cycle. Yeah, I know. So it's stupid. Avoid it and save yourself, okay. I wish I had. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment